Maternal-Fetal Medicine Center
Whether you’re just starting to think about having a baby or have been trying to conceive for some time, you likely have questions and concerns about becoming pregnant. Preconception care is for women who are not aware of risks but want to determine whether any risks are present. It is also for women who are aware of specific risks, and want to determine how to best minimize these risks.
Maternal-Fetal Medicine in collaboration with the Division of Genetics at John R. Oishei Children's Hospital provides diagnostic, management and genetic counseling services to pediatric and adult patients.
- Genetic evaluation
- Treatment and management of genetic disorders and inborn errors of metabolism
- Genetic counseling for reproductive/prenatal genetics, pediatric genetics and familial cancer risk assessment
The Division also provides risk information to individuals with a personal or family history of one or more of the following:
- Recurrent miscarriage, stillbirth, or infertility
- A previous child or other family member with a genetic condition and/or birth defect(s)
- Specific ethnic background with a higher incidence of a particular condition (e.g. cystic fibrosis or sickle cell disease)
- An abnormal ultrasound finding
- Exposure during pregnancy
- Microarray testing
- Developmental delay, mental retardation or learning disabilities